Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Reap What You Saw

[Update: Newer version of game available now at the same link.]




Hey, what does the title mean?

You may have noticed a link to "Death" on the blogroll on the side. That's me doing a little roleplay thing (in a non-creepy way). It's for a game I'm developing as part of a team here. Using our combined intellect and playing on the phrase "reap what you sow," we, a group of developers (and one artist), hit upon the name "Reap What You Saw" for our effort. You play as Death and you go around this little city massacring people. Don't worry, they're not nice people, they're vicious gangs. Thus, as you kill people, you are reaping their souls. You can join people's gangs or leave them. By joining a gang and killing sufficient numbers of another gang, you set off a war amongst the gangs. The goal is to be the last man (or being) standing and you may use these questionable means to achieve that.

That sounds great! Where oh where can I get it?!

Vista/Windows 7 version

XP version

Extract that zip file to some folder and run the EXE.

What do I get out of it?

Noth---a sense of having helped out someone by evaluating his work. That's good, right? Please?

OK, I've tried running it, but it gives me some stupid "side-by-side configuration" error

Er, we're trying to fix this one. But it seems to go away if you have Visual Studio 2008 installed on your machine. Try running it without VC++, but if it doesn't work, you can get it here.

Hey, wait a minute, I've seen this before...

You've seen similar stuff before. The top-down view is like the early GTA but that's all the similarity, I think.

So what're the controls? Come on, I can't wait much longer! I have a life.

OK OK, here they are:-

(W, S, A, D) for (Up, Down, Left, Right) movement
Left-click to shoot
R to reload
1 to 7 to switch between weapons (they're all guns, differing in rate of fire and range of bullets. Try them all.)
Tab to show which non-player character is following whom
T to toggle the gang-change panel.
Arrow keys (Up and Down) to navigate through the gang-change panel and Enter to join and leave gangs. Before you join a gang, you need to leave the gang you're in currently. You start off independent of gang loyalties, so you can join the first group you want to join directly.

Whoa, something doesn't work. This sucks. You suck.

Calm down, it's probably a small bug we can correct easily. If you could be kind enough to let me know what the problems are in the comments, I and my illustrious friends will remove them (the problems, not the comments).

So, in summary, please try it out and let me know what you think. Also head over to the other blog and spew venom on Death. I thank you in advance for your patience.

8 comments:

Rohit said...

I get an error: "The procedure entry point_ftol2 could not be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt.dll"

pooja said...

I could play this for more than 20 minutes.
Didn't you say after 15 minutes, the game crashes? It didn't.

Arjun Sharma said...

[Rohit] Can you try moving opengl32.dll and glu32.dll out of the current game folder? See if it runs then.

Sorry about this. We're fixing this. Will do it soon.

[Pooja] Yeah, I thought it would give up and die after about 15 minutes. It used to do that during testing here, sometimes. It doesn't? That's odd and reassuring.

Thanks, both of you.

karthikd said...

So, whats the cheat code to trigger a nuke and win the game in 5 minutes?

What a fine games you are making! I havent played it yet, ofcourse. But I think I will. (Thats a start, right?)

Oh, any cheat code for adult mode?

D said...

hey ! kananda comedy videos ! I am excited!! I am still opening your videos on youtube,nevertheless I am impressed and proud of you guys!

Good !! Very very good !

Harish said...

nanage aa zip file-a siglilla. File not found error bantu. Hayyo!

RupaKote said...

Hi,

If you haven't fixed the problem yet my two penny suggestions.I think the msvcrt.dll error is due to the CRT library which is generally a pain in most dll development.Two things i did :
1)System Restore
2)Checked for the dll in system32.Remove the precompiled option[ Meaning no Precompiled in the project properties] . Hopefully it should work.

I couldn't get the zip file too.

Arjun Sharma said...

[karthikd] Cheatu illa, code-u illa. Easy game. Kill all option kooda illa.

AaDappa, nidhanakke aaDu. Modle working class neenu. Nam thara unemployed alla.

[D] Thank you very much! We have a play on April 9th and 11th. Please to be attending!

[Harish] Eega bere link haakidini, try maaDappa.

[Rupa Kote] Hi. Thanks for that. Yeah, we removed the PreCompiled Headers option. We built it as a MultiThreaded DLL and as a MultiThreaded Debug DLL. Neither option seems to work.

Have you found any other method which works?