Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Happy New Year

...and some more of the same old stuff!

What have I been doing? Where have I disappeared to? Is everything all right??

These are some of the questions whose answers no one gives a shit about, I'm sure. Undaunted, however, I shall supply you with the same. In order to show I care, but mainly because I have the sensitivity of a bullock.

Just when we didn't want politicians to hide behind the cliche of the 'spirit of Mumbai' and not do anything about the Nov. 26th attacks, along comes Slumdog Millionaire and reaffirms the same thing. And the movie goes on to make millions and win awards galore when better movies about and from India have failed to even make a mark. 'Lagaan' was a much superior rags-to-riches tale than this. 'Swades' was a riches-to-rags sort of story. And Rahman had definitely scored better music in those movies. I suppose the Danny Boyle tag carries more weight in the US than the Ashutosh Gowariker one. It's not a bad movie, Slumdog. But it's not great either. A meh-vie, if you will (meh movie = meh-vie).

Since I have become a me-myself-and-I sort of person, having nothing worth talking about apart from myself, with the notable exception of the occasion when the honourable Harish N Kumar usurped the throne of prize idiot of our group from me after an incident involving his computer keyboard and the resulting deletion of several lines of text from the script of our next play, I shall talk about our next play. I hesitate to call our previous play, Vichitramanjari, staged on the 30th of last year's November, an instantly resounding success because it played out to packed audiences of just about 80 people in each show (we staged two shows on the same day and the aquditorium capacity per show was 80 human beings). Although all 160 people enjoyed the show (I assume), it isn't exactly the audience Metallica gets. But it was a successful play, with everybody we knew and lots of people we didn't know at all saying they liked the show. Subsequently, as Sharath cut out bits from the play and put them up on our channel, people said 'Hey, this is nice. Damn, we should have been there. When's your next show? Book tickets for me, bitch!' Of course, there were people who also said 'Why are you putting in canned laughter? Remove it, it's not nice,' but we politely explained this was real laughter from a live show and we hadn't faked it and couldn't remove it now.

Emboldened by this dual dose of live-and-reactive and eventual appreciation, we decided on staging a second play. It's happening, little ones. February 15th, at the JSS auditorium in Jayanagar 8th block. I'll have more details as and when authorisation comes through for revealing those. You know, things like posters and names and timings and tickets (yeah, pappa needs to eat) and trivia.

Additionally, complaints have been submitted that I'm not as witty as I was in late 2006. This is an odd sort of grievance to have and I'll disregard it.

Is it me or are several news items recently beginning to resemble fake news headlines? Man sells daughter for beer, girl sends a message every two minutes for a month, Advani gets voted youth icon.

To round up this mish-mash excuse for a post, watch the following video:-
Randall Munroe at Google

17 comments:

Parisarapremi said...

ನಂಗೂ ಒಂದ್ ಟಿಕೆಟ್ ಎತ್ತಿಡಪ್ಪಾ.... ನಿನ್ "ಪಾರಿವಾಳ"ದ ಜೊತೆ!!! ;-)

Harish said...

naa delete maaDirlilla lines-u. Ellavdu correct aagide. Neenu ee tara suLLu aapadanegaLanna maaDodu, adu inta public forum alli sari alla. O Allah!

Joe said...

"I have the sensitivity of a bullock."

- Says it all, doesn't it? you shoulda stopped with that line ;)

being purple... said...

awww... you seem to be losing the charm of the draw... only three comments! And now mine? Do something!

freak said...

xkcd!

CHEEKU said...

XYZ:"Cheeku"

Cheeku:"Yes Master..."

attendance.........

I feel sad when the number of comments drop for ur posts!! Comments give different
perceptions. Comments make posts even more interesting...

Sandeep said...

This blog's got the human equivalent of blood cancer. It is coughing and vomiting blood.






The end is near.

Arjun said...

[parisarapremi] Heh, asahya, nan paarivaLada jote neenu kootkotiya? Doora iru!

[Harish] Idu naanu sthapane maadiro forum-u, gottalla. En bekadru heltini, refute maadakke yaar kailu sadhya illa. Nan kailu sadhya illa.

[Joe] Yes, would that I knew how and when to censor myself.

[being purple] I'm no longer the flavour of the season! Oh no!

[freak] Indeed. And how are you?

[CHEEKU] Comments make the posts more interesting? There, you just took away a lot of credit from the poor author.

People not commenting doesn't bother me as much as it used to. Everyone's busy. If they feel like commenting, and have the time to do so, they will. I know it's nothing personal. In most cases.

[Sandeep] You mean the blog equivalent. The human equivalent of blood cancer is blood cancer.

Turd.

Spunky Monkey said...

The end of blogs is always the worst. I should know.

Arjun said...

[Spunky Monkey] Who says it's ending? I will continue benumbing you with inanity.

Sandeep said...

You get the point.

Anonymous said...

CHECK THIS UNIQUE SITE
www.nodahej.com Matrimonial Site is the worlds only Matrimonial Site for peoples who don't want to take and give dowries for their marriages.its total free site.Add your Free Matrimonial Profile Now.
http://nodahej.com

CHEEKU said...

arre baba.. "They make it more interesting"-- doesnt in any way undermine the "Your" talent. Take credit Arjun. But remember, You are a middle class brahmin :P... too much "credit" is not good for middle class bloggers :)

Malaveeka said...

Sandeep: Arjun said, "I'm no longer the flavour of the season! Oh no!"

He sounds like House, no?

Malaveeka said...

www.nodahej.com

he he.

Sandeep said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_(TV_series)

If you didn't get the reference.

Arjun said...

[CHEEKU] Heh, I know. My credit limit is minimal anyway.

[Malaveeka] I do? Gee, thenks.

Yes, nodahej, I know. I don't support the dowry system either.

[Sandeep] Thank you. You're telling me or everyone else?