Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Damn it!

Ten fingers, five languages spoken and written, five states and one rock visited, two female tennis players made target of infatuation, hundreds of movies watched.

And yet I took a long time to solve this silly problem in sequences I found in a high school textbook in my grandparents' house:-

"The three interior angles of a quadrilateral are in AP. The difference between the largest and the second largest is equal to the smallest angle, considering the same three angles. The fourth angle is equal to one of the angles that are in AP. Atleast one of the angles of the quadrilateral is 90 degrees. The least angle of the quadrilateral can be:-
1. 40
2. 45
3. 51.3
4. Data insufficient"

Maybe it's office-work that's making me slower than usual. Maybe it's the weather. Maybe it's just me.

Stupid.

17 comments:

Sandeep said...

This is the famous cousin of the Schrodinger equation. It has been proved that there is no solution.

Sandeep said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Harish said...

Adyaavdoo alla, Arjun. Idu aa dhoorta vidhiya kroora, kutantrada aaTa.

Sandeep said...

I thought it was 51.3

Arcane Crapper said...

Option number 2. 45 degrees.

One cd marker pen and a plastic label is all it took to solve. :D

Sandeep said...

Give me the answer. I can't take it anymore.

Sandeep said...

I didn't read the full question. Now that I have, I don't want to solve the problem. You can go canoodle yourself with your left hand.

c'est moi said...

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Math!

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Anonymous said...

Arjun, the problem isn't as silly as you have described it to be. But, kelsakke seridmele nanna buddhi manda aagirodantu nija.
[sandeep]adakke heLodu half knowledge is harmful antha.
[arcane crapper]correctu

K-Man said...

Three answers can be obtained, but only one will give the necessary result with one angle being 90. Else all three answers are correct, they would result in the quad described.
As the Arcane Crapper said, it takes an iota of time. My advice to you:
YOU ARE BETTER THAN THIS.
GET OUTTA THERE!!!! (And start Writing.)

K-(Forgetful)-Man said...

Whoops. Sorry. A-C was right. Option 2.

nivedita said...

AP?

swaroop said...

CyAAAT-u.

tangled said...

The AC is just showing off, is what.

ramachandra said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
swaroopgr said...

This problem case was stated in Tata McGraw Hill 1987. State of Arjun Vs State of Quadrilateral.

Malaveeka said...

Maths!

They say when your ex returns, it'll haunt ya like nothing before.

I think I'm having a cardiac arrest.