Tuesday, November 07, 2006

The rat

A rat got itself caught on a 'rat-plate' beside my cubicle a little while ago. This 'rat-plate' is nothing but a steel plate coated with strong-as-hell adhesive. I'd been out to our canteen(it's in the next building) for snacks. As I came back and sat down to continue what I'd been doing before that, I felt something hitting hard against my cubicle's walls. At first, I couldn't make out what it was. Peeking around, I saw this little creature, ugly as death and desperate as life, struggling to get away from the sticky stuff holding it down. In doing this, it was banging against the walls of my cubicle and making those sounds.

I told the security guard at the entrance to our floor about this rat. He contacted somebody and hastened to inform me that the rat could only be cleared away tomorrow morning, since the "6th floor supervisor" was away. Now this was a problem. The place would stink to high heaven by then. We were all pretty despondent about this; no one paid any attention to the poor rat, as it struggled against certain death.

As our security man tried to figure out what to do, I lost no time in informing one of my colleagues, and several months our senior in the company, Vani Shetty(who JK calls Vani 'Pinky' Shetty, on account of she does not have 'P' as an initial. Or maybe she does, I don't know. The name's just funny.), about the rat. Her reaction to the grotesque phenomenon was too funny. Her face contorted itself into a look of disgust more than that rat was contorting itself to get out of that trap. No, that's an exaggeration. She just gave this "Eww" look. But 'twas funny!

I then picked out targets who would react similarly and told them all about it. Similar results. I derive my entertainment in a sick manner, I know.

The security personnel now came to my place with an idea. He covered the rat-plate with the dustbin in my cubicle(my dustbin!). Then, he lifted the plate and ferried the rat, plate, gum and all, and placed the plate outside the working area, beside the lift. The rat now awaits its execution(or maybe freedom. But that is highly unlikely.) at the hands of the 6th floor supervisor.

What did the little creature want? Why had it come here? What was its goal?

What the hell do I know? I'm going home now.

13 comments:

nivedita said...

You have a soft spot for vermin, don't you? Cockroaches, rats and suchlike?

Arjun Sharma said...

Not rats. I just let them be. Cockroaches...yes, I have tried to save their lives in the past. Successfully.

"You have a soft spot for vermin, don't you?"
Funny!

Anonymous said...

Deriving from Morrison -
Wallowing in the mire, art thou?

---

You use Johnson baby shampoo? No, really, you do?

Arjun Sharma said...

No, not wallowing, just reciting what happened in a day at the office.

I could use Johnson's baby powder/shampoo. But I don't.

I don't.

c'est moi said...

@Ajun: How heartless! How cld u just watch and not do anything? It was life, for heavens' sake!

And btw, baby shampoo/powder is nice!!

Still apalled by the heartless-ness...

Arjun Sharma said...

As per latest news, the rat was still alive when the suupervisor arrived this afternoon to dispose of it. He is said to have thrown/let it out somewhere, not killed it or cut it up in any way.

Heartless? I could go one step further.
"It was life, for heavens' sake!"
It wasn't mine.

See?

Anonymous said...

Basic question: WTF are rats doing in your office??

If we saw any rats in our office, we would offer them a complete C&C (Content and Collaboration) Solution Suite which would comprehensively cater to their requirements. Going forward, we would create high visibility in the rodent market and gain the first-player advantage.




I think I know now why people slowly walk backwards and then run away when I start talking.

Sandeep said...

That was me.

Sandeep said...

Like I had to say it.

Arjun Sharma said...

[Sandeep]You didn't.

We have a thriving ecosystem in our office.

Arjun Sharma said...

[Sandeep]I find your steadfast refusal to comment about your photo indicative of your enhanced social and sexual insecurity. And a presence of callouses on areas other than your hands.

Harish said...

[Sandeep]The "content and collaboration suite" mattu "high visibility in the rodent market" sikkaapatte funny aagittu. I request you to write more about this in a post on your blog. Please ma'a!

Anonymous said...

[You] I have now. I was bus that day.

[Harish] Hoon ma'a, baritini. I need to talk to my manager a little more to enrich my 'business communication' before writing an entry.