Tuesday, November 14, 2006

The Harlem globetrotters

Man, them trotters got style! The Harlem globetrotters, legendary 'entertainment-only' basketball team since 1927, weaved(you will know why this is a pun later) a spell of their magic around Bangalore. Well, not entirely. It was a staged event, with the Globetrotters set to win, even before the game began. I mean, would you, as a kid, go watch a movie knowing beforehand the hero would die? I wouldn't have. So the Globetrotters were premeditated winners even before the game began, I suspect. They wouldn't want conversations of the following kind to happen:-
"Where were you?"
"Basketball game. Harlem Globetrotters vs New York Nationals."
"Oh wow. Who won?"
"New York Nationals."
"Die, fiend!"
(BLAM!!)

But as a show, it was very, very cool. All the basketball 'special effects' were brilliantly done. The weave(a-ha!), one of their trademark moves, was executed unerringly every single time. Another one of their specialties was the setting up(playmaking, I think it could be called) of a slam-dunk by one of the guys for another. They'd do all sorts of tricks with the ball(oh man, these were amazing! What amazing control over the ball! Unimaginable!) and then throw it up seemingly randomly. Then one of them would come running and take this 'pass' and dunk it in. Hardcore!

The captain-person, Kevin 'Special K' Bailey, kept on talking through the match. They're all very funny chaps, but this guy was in charge of the show and he was one smooth-talkin' nigga! Verra funny man! And he was, of course, very good with the ball. The referee was good too, playing his part well. Another player who impressed the audiences was a guy called 'Herb.' He did this sliding thing while dribbling the ball. He dribbled it, with one guy right behind him blocking his shot, and then slid, still dribbling, fell to his knees, turned round, got up and emerged free, with the unguarded basket in front of him and the opponent guy behind him now, away from the basket. He could have shot now, but he did this one more time, just for the thrills! Very nice!

The New York Nationals were actually very good. The shortest guy in the team, the short, white guy(about 6 feet tall), was astoundingly good, jumping whenever and however high he wanted to and collecting the ball. He shot quite a few. Very impressive, that team. I have a small suspicion that an actual match between these teams would go right down to the wire, rather than like the 67-45(or something) scoreline from today.

As an entertainment show, this was brilliant. They should have played a bit more basketball, though. A closely fought match would have been brilliant. And worth the 1000 bucks we all(about 10 or 11 of us) paid.

I had first read about the Harlem Globetrotters in Archie comics or something, then seen an episode of 'Scooby Doo adventures'(the one-hour cartoons) featuring them as the special guests. Good show.

17 comments:

tharunya said...

What? WHERE? :(
I hate living in my own cocoon. DAMMIT.

Harish said...

Don't you now feel cheated that you paid thousand Rupees to watch a match whose result, as you said, was 'premeditated'?

Anonymous said...

@Harish - It was worth it man. Very good indeed.

@Arjun - I dont seem to realise where the pun lies.. Hmmm..

Pavan

Anonymous said...

Damn.. Ok. Just did.. Not only - but also am afraid..

Pavan

Arjun Sharma said...

[Tharunya]Kantheerava indoor stadium. 7:00 PM. Yesterday. Be there.

Sorry!

[Harish]A bit , yes. But the entertainment was amazing. I disagree with Pavan here when he says it was worth a thousand bucks. It wasn't. Four hundred, maybe. Which stand we could have gone to had SV(Son of Venkatanaranappa?) not done some online checking.

[Pavan]It was good, man. But a thousand? Nah. We could have gone to two shows of four hundred and enjoyed it just as much even the second time, even if we knew what was going to happen.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, probably. But then, its once in a while.. My reasoning would be how often do I spend money to watch Basketball? Or for that matter any sport!

Pavan

nivedita said...

SV need not have done anything.
It's simple, when going to a concert (flat, expansive grounds) get the front ticket. When going to a spherical indoor stadium it don't matter if we're on the upper balcony.

I don't feel cheated or anything. It was good fun and we all have dispensable income and such no?

Arjun Sharma said...

Yeah, good fun and dispensable income part is all true. Still, one needn't have dispensed with so much. I mean, the show was not worth dispensing so much with, that's all.

But sakkatagittu, nija.

Anonymous said...

One thing is for sure, and that is, people have felt strongly that yesterday's match was great entertainment. Whether thousand bucks was more or not is still a debatable point. On this note, I conclude my comment.
Thank You.

Anonymous said...

Aes. 400 good. 1000 much.

Sandeep

Sowmya Rao said...

Oh erm, I just wanted to leave a comment to say that you're about the ONLY person who has 'Ethirnechal' on the fav. movies list.

I love the movie, and the music; just wanted to say hello.

And may I ask, whats with the towel and the cumin seeds?

Arjun Sharma said...

I know, you would have thought that with so many Tamilians or Tamil-speaking/knowing people(like me) around, some would have put this movie up. Superb movie, like you said. Absolutely loved Nagesh and Mutthuraman in it.

Hello.

The towel? Just paying homage to the late Douglas Adams. A humble salutation at the altar of his genius. The cumin seeds...I really don't know.

Anonymous said...

Aw, this was an incredibly nice post. Taking a few minutes and actual effort to generate
a good article… but what can I say… I put things off a whole lot
and don't manage to get anything done.

Also visit my page "probabilism"

Anonymous said...

My developer is trying to persuade me to move to .
net from PHP. I have always disliked the idea because of the costs.
But he's tryiong none the less. I've been using Movable-type on numerous websites for
about a year and am concerned about switching to another platform.
I have heard excellent things about blogengine.
net. Is there a way I can transfer all my wordpress content
into it? Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated!

My blog post ... lirio
My site: atascos

Anonymous said...

Ӏ'm a writer from Stony Stratford, Great Britain just submitted this to a coworker who was performing some sort of research on this. And she actually bought me lunch only because I discovered it for her... lol. So allow me to reword this.... Thanks for the food... But anyways, thanx for investing all that time to write about this issue here on your web site.

My web page - anywebcam

Anonymous said...

Very nice post. I simply stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to mention that I've truly enjoyed browsing your blog posts. After all I will be subscribing for your feed and I hope you write again soon!

Also visit my weblog: click here

Anonymous said...

tennis elbow treatment stretches

Look into my site :: tennis elbow ayurvedic treatment